Driving Faith

Friday, April 13, 2012

A letter to the church

This letter is based on themes that I have heard in conversations with my generation and the generation behind my own:




Dear Church,


            I recognize that you are desperately attempting to bring me back into the "fold." While I appreciate the sentiment, might I suggest where you're missing the mark? You're trying so hard to please me that you are chasing me away.


I don’t need you to entertain me. Don’t get me wrong I love good music and I’ve got a short attention span but I don’t need to go to you to prevent boredom. I’ve got MTV, cable, the Internet, and Facebook on my phone. If I’m bored I’ll go there. Why else should I pay attention to you? I need more . . . 


I don’t need to come to you for social events. I’ve got a life. I’ve got numerous ways to meet people. I work. I’m connected to the entire world electronically. I can make friends and I can maintain my current friendships. Why should I come to social events at the church?


I don’t need you in order to volunteer. I can go to any soup kitchen or hospital and they will gladly put me to work.


I don’t need to look to you to show me how to change the world. I can give money to any charity I chose. I can sign up to be a member in any of many social justice groups in the secular world. The Sierra Club, Habitat for Humanity and the Occupy Movement should show you that I care about things in the world and I’m willing to join a group to change them or to create my own movement in order to change the world. I don’t need you for this.


I don’t need you to make it easy for me. If you expect me to take classes before I become a member of the church then don’t wave it because it doesn’t fit my lifestyle. If it’s too easy then I won’t understand or care about being with you. If I don’t have to work for something I don’t value it.


Make me want to be there with you. Make it so I can’t live without you. You have too much competition.


Here’s what I need from you . . .


1.      I need you to teach me absolute truths. Don’t compromise your beliefs. If you believe that Jesus Christ came to save the world then stand by that belief. Proclaim it loudly and stop changing the party line. I need you show me that there is more to this life than the world gives me. I need to know what you believe in and I need it to stay the same so I know what to expect.


2.      I need you to teach me why you do what you do. I don’t understand why the service is designed the way it is designed. Even though my parents dragged me to church, no one taught me why things happen. Why would I show up to be confused for an hour or more?


3.      I need you to stop worrying and fighting about the details because it scares me away. I need you to be open to the ways of the world but I need you to not follow the world but to lead it. Welcome me with open arms but do not try to change me, you can’t. I need to know that this is where I’m welcomed but not patronized because of who I am. I need you to model the love of God in everything you do. I need you to show me how to forgive everyone even those who are hurting you.


4.      I need you to love me. I need you to show me how to foster deeper relationships in my life. Most of my many friendships are superficial so I need you to teach me how have deeper relationships. I need it to begin with a deeper relationship with God. Just look at how many books about spirituality my generation buys. You should know that I'm searching to belong to something beyond myself. 

 I need you to love me. I need you to love me. I need you to love me.




Respectfully,


A young person who doesn’t go to church

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Amen, Amen. I might just add to point two--"allow me to be full member of this family: Let me read your holy word, allow me to be an intercessor, encourage me to greet newcomers, talk to me at coffee hour and give me permission to be visible and known in this loving congregation."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Encourage me to make noise, especially a Joyful Noise. Right George?

    ReplyDelete